Multiple sites on a single installation...

Feb 20, 2010 at 6:53 AM

JarrettV,

I would like to know if you have any documentation regarding the multi-workspace feature of AtomSite.  I am also wondering if it is possible to host multiple blogs on a single installation using different domain names.  I understand that you can use sub-domains and folders, but is it possible to have separate domains point to the same installation?

Also, I have about 6 months professional experience working with ASP.NET MVC and DDD.  I am willing to contribute to the project.  Let me know how I can help.

Thanks,
David

Coordinator
Feb 20, 2010 at 3:15 PM

Yes, this should entirely be possible.  I just recently bought some discountasp.net hosting and was surprised to see they don't support multiple applications.  However, with some tweaks to the routing and workspace code, it should be possible to support multiple domains in a single applications.  I'm pretty busy with other projects at the moment but I'd love to see you work on this and contribute the code.  I can also lend a hand when I get free time.

• Each domain would map to a workspace
  • Need to evaluate usage of xml:base in service.config
  • IRouteService.cs RouteService.GetWorkspace()
  • IRouteService.cs RouteService.ToAbsolute()

Let me know if you have further questions.

Feb 21, 2010 at 7:08 AM

JarrettV,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.  I believe I have implemented the ability to detect the workspace based upon the request header's url.  However, I have encountered some strange behavior with multiple workspaces in general.  As soon as I add a collection to the second workspace an un-handled exception is thrown every time I try and load the admin page.  

I'll try and sort it out on my own since I have started changing code, but I was wondering if you could send me or post a service.config file of a site that you know is working with multiple workspaces (either subdomain or folder based).  Having that file will be a great reference for me.

Thanks for your help,

David

Coordinator
Feb 21, 2010 at 4:22 PM
Edited Feb 21, 2010 at 4:22 PM

David, I looked into it and the AtomSite Manager doesn't support the multi-folder, multi-subdomain modes very well.  I changed to multi-folder and got many errors.  Looks like we need to work through some issues with the workspace names, the hrefs, and the default values.  This is something that I would love to work on simplifying if you have any ideas.

<workspace svc:name="www" svc:default="true">
    <atom:title>example.com/www</atom:title>
    <atom:subtitle>The life and times of a blogger.</atom:subtitle>
    <collection href="www/blog.atom" svc:default="true" svc:bloggingOn="true" svc:trackbacksOn="true">
      <atom:title>My Super Blog</atom:title>
      <atom:id>tag:www.example.com,2010:blog</atom:id>
    </collection>
    <collection href="www/pages.atom" svc:dated="false" svc:ratingsOn="false" svc:bloggingOn="false" svc:default="false">
      <atom:title type="html">My Pages</atom:title>
      <atom:id>tag:www.example.com,2010:pages</atom:id>
      <categories fixed="no" />
    </collection>
    <collection href="www/media.atom" svc:visible="false" svc:syndicationOn="no" svc:default="false">
      <atom:title>My Media</atom:title>
      <atom:id>tag:www.example.com,2010:media</atom:id>
      <accept file:ext="png">image/png</accept>
      <accept file:ext="jpg">image/jpeg</accept>
      <accept file:ext="gif">image/gif</accept>
    </collection>
  </workspace>
  <workspace svc:name="www2" svc:default="false">
    <atom:title>example.com/www2</atom:title>
    <atom:subtitle>Another workspace in another folder.</atom:subtitle>
    <collection href="www2/pages.atom" svc:dated="false" svc:ratingsOn="false" svc:bloggingOn="false" svc:default="true">
      <atom:title type="html">My Other Pages</atom:title>
      <atom:id>tag:www2.example.com,2010:pages</atom:id>
      <categories fixed="no" />
    </collection>
  </workspace>