Setup Wizard Permission Issues

Apr 25, 2009 at 12:10 AM
I am trying to install AtomSite on dailyrazor shared hosting. One advantage CMS's like Drupal and Joomla have is they are always super simple to install, and describe during the wizard what the issues are.

The beginning of this setup wizard is nice, but nowhere does it actually tell you what the problem is.

On Plesk I setup the IIS user to have all permissions, read, write, modify etc and AtomSite still reports X's for every item. I don't see a document explaining what these checks are related to.

Could anyone explain or if anyone has any experience setting this up on shared hosting?

I've found ASP.NET solutions really lacking in making shared hosting installations intuitive. Steps are always required but most of them just fail to educate the person what needs configuring.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Coordinator
May 1, 2009 at 9:54 PM
Edited May 1, 2009 at 9:55 PM
The newest version 1.0 has a link to our troubleshooting page whenever an issue arises at the beginning of the setup wizard.

Also, I submitted the application to the Web Platform Installer so it should make setting things up extremely easy.

I've set up AtomSite on shared hosting and the few things I needed todo to get it to work were:

1. Tell admin to allow PUT and DELETE verbs in UrlScan config
  2. Turn on full trust using website control panel (my host doesn't support medium-trust)
  3. Tell admin to make sure my site is running on IIS7 integrated mode
  4. Allow write access in website control panel
May 12, 2009 at 4:28 PM

Ok I'll see if I can give this a shot sometime this week.

I have found PHP CMS systems far superior in their install experiences in comparison to ASP.NET webapps. They are usually just run, enter sql info and done. Even in a shared hosting environment setting up Drupal and Joomla is never a difficult situation.

Almost every ASP.NET webapp I have come across does not work in my shared hosting or requires massive web.config changes.

Anything that is possible in future updates to relieve installation pains would put this head and shoulders above other ASP.NET projects in my opinion because as everyone knows, a first impression means a thousand words.

If people can't install they will likely not continue.

If theres any chance to reduce it to only item #4 that would be the ultimate ;)

I really look forward to taking a look at AtomSite. I have been looking for a CMS in ASP.NET MVC to really excite me to drop Drupal and start building addons for our needs.

AtomSite looks to have a decent admin UI as well which is huge. Dupal/Joomla absolutely destroy DotNetNuke in install & admin interface.

Can't wait to check it out!

May 15, 2009 at 12:28 AM

Hmm I can't seem to sort anything out on shared hosting with AtomSite installer.

If the GET, PUT and POST verbs are missing will the permission checks fail even if I have them setup properly?

I have set the permissions even with overkill by doing the whole tree and its still failing on the write/delete checks.

Anyone know if it is possible to enter the GET, PUT and POST verbs via Plesk? Otherwise this is going to require a support call for every installation in shared hosting environments.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Coordinator
May 15, 2009 at 12:54 PM

The future database support will remove the read/write permission requirement from AtomSite.  This should make it easier to install on shared hosting where they do not allow your website write permissions.  The GET and POST should always work not matter what.  Unfortunately, sometimes PUT and DELETE are problematic due to security lock-down policies.

The ability to GET, POST, PUT, DELETE is independent of Write and Delete permissions when dealing with the setup wizard.  However, in practice, if you can't HTTP DELETE, then you can't delete from the file system and vice-versa.

Coordinator
May 15, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Also, a plugin could add Metaweblog API support which only needs GET and POST and thus bypass AtomPub.

Jun 2, 2009 at 4:36 AM

I run my own server. I own everything, straight down to the bare metal. I have other web sites on that box conducting POST and GET operations just fine, full permissions on the file structure (in the web root on down) is set to "everyone", and yet the install wizard fails for all six checks at the very beginning. As well, the "continue anyway" fails with a 404, as if the routing isn't even functioning.

What's going on here? Looks like someone dropped a ball somewhere, because my server never had a packaged app puke all over it before like AtomSite has.

I have: Win2k3, SQL Server 2005, ASP.NET 3.5, MVC 1.0, all patches and updates (comprehensive!) and standard server lock-down as recommended by Belarc's software (not perfect, but only the needed services are running and exposed). Everything else on the box is pretty well a vanilla setup, with nothing overly odd.

Jun 19, 2009 at 6:56 PM

there's a solution to this problem in the issue tracker.  it's essentially caused by IIS6 and MVC not playing nicely with one another.