Supporting extended content?

Nov 8, 2008 at 3:23 PM
I'm curious as to whether or not you will support the concept of extended content, where the content is split into two parts and a reader must click on a "Read More" link. Is this on the to-do list? Does AtomPub have support for this at all?

Thanks,
Brian
Coordinator
Nov 10, 2008 at 2:15 AM
Yes, this is definitely something I want to support.  We could do this through the use of the summary element which is part of the atom standard.  So as long as the summary is provided (it is called excerpt in Live Writer) then we could show the "Read More" link.  Does this satisfy what you are looking for or is there any other features around this?
Nov 14, 2008 at 1:44 PM
Live Writer supports extended content as a separate concept from summary/excerpt. If enabled via the wlwmanifest file, Writer will enable the splitting of posts via a horizontal bar. Ideally, I'd like to see this supported in addition to a summary/excerpt. For my needs, both are actually required.

For example, I may want to show just the excerpt in a feed, while having the first part of the post visible on the front page of my site, and the full post, including extended content on the individual post page.

The problem, as I see it, is that Atom doesn't support this concept. Is there a proposed schema/extension for adding this feature?
Coordinator
Nov 14, 2008 at 6:08 PM
Edited Nov 14, 2008 at 8:06 PM
In my quick search I did not find a proposed extension.  However, this is something we could easily add as our own extension.

I'll look into this along with the wlwmanifest file so we can support both scenarios.  Perhaps you'd like to contribute some documentation for this? :)
Nov 21, 2008 at 2:35 AM
The manifest documentation is here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb463266.aspx

The options are the part that is most relevant:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb463260.aspx

I'm not sure if you can actually use this with AtomPub though. I think AtomPub might just force its own way of doing things onto WLW.
Coordinator
Dec 8, 2008 at 5:01 PM
@Citezein: can you confirm that the horizontal bar in live writer controls where <!-- more --> comment tag is placed in the content?
Coordinator
Dec 9, 2008 at 3:56 AM
Ok, it looks like all that is needed is a wlwmanafest.xml:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<manifest xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wlw/manifest/weblog">
  <options>
    <supportsExtendedEntries>Yes</supportsExtendedEntries>
  </options>
</manifest>

When a post is split in WLW, it does add <!--more--> into the content.

Coordinator
Dec 17, 2008 at 4:11 PM
Edited Dec 17, 2008 at 10:01 PM
This support has been added. 

There is a new setting on each collection called "ExtendedEntriesOn" which will alter the wlwmanifest depending on the setting. However, setting this value to false will not disallow the <!--more--> tag.  Also, a theme designer may alter the theme based on this setting. 

The collection page and simple entry partial were modified to have a "Read More" link whenever there is extended content.

For feeds, if ExtendedEntriesOn=True then each entry in the feed will not show extended content (only content before the split). 
Dec 1, 2009 at 10:47 PM

Did this functionality change or get removed?  I can't get this to work by simply using the Admin panel.  I don't see any settings for my collections for "ExtendedEntriesOn".  I have seen in the code, where you can use ToStringPreview() and that adds a '...' to the end...

I also only see this in the code for BlogEntrySImpleWidget...but it doesn't actually do the work.  Maybe I am just confused on how this should work.

Coordinator
Dec 18, 2009 at 3:02 PM

This functionality is still in AtomSite and works just like in wordpress.  If the post has <!-- more --> then the entry becomes extended.  However, I've personally had an issue with this feature in the past where the post was "losing" everything after the <!-- more --> tag.  I wouldn't recommend using this feature until the issue has been properly identified and resolved.

Dec 18, 2009 at 3:07 PM

I have tested it and got it to work pretty consistent so far.  I should have posted a reply after I got it working.  Thanks for the tip about it it being buggy though...I'll keep an eye on it!