Installation Tips?

Developer
Sep 3, 2008 at 2:38 AM
I had started my own implementation of AtomPub in .NET and was thrilled to see this one as it means I don't need to go through the rest of writing mine.

I'm trying to get the binaries working on either my local dev machine or on my Mosso server. On both, I can get the default page to come up, and tweaked the Service.config where it made sense as well as paths in the master page. However, things like the login on the bottom of the Default.aspx, etc. don't work and most of the other URL's aren't quite right. What I'm wondering is what the configuration should look like? I'm willing to do the leg work and write it up/screencast it if I can get it running and set up.

I just need a pointer in the right direction.
Coordinator
Sep 4, 2008 at 8:24 PM
@jwynia: I am focusing the upcoming release on installation.  As part of this effort, I am writing installation documentation.  It would be great if we could collaborate on a screencast.

Also, all the urls *should* be built through the RouteService.  The current implementation assumes pretty urls via UrlRewriting, however, you could potentially turn this off and use ugly urls or plugin the new routing in .net 3.5sp1.  The lastest source code has fixed the "login".
Developer
Sep 5, 2008 at 5:39 PM
I'd love to help out with a screencast version. I've been working on screencasting quite a bit lately and enjoying it. The biggest hurdle for me in doing one is pretty much just making sure I understand the thing I'm about to explain first.$0$0$0$0On the URLs, even the CSS and image paths are supposed to go through the RouteService? I'm asking because most of the URLs I tweaked were of that variety in either the master page or the Default.aspx to get the page looking like it's supposed to.$0$0$0$0$0I'll grab the latest source and see if I can get past the login.$0$0$0$0$0The 2 installations I attempted so far, just so you have a datapoint are:$0$0$0$0$01. On http://localhost/BlogSvc on a development workstation running Vista Business with .NET 3.5sp1.$0$02. On Mosso.com's hosting environment at http://atompub.jwynia.com/ in the root of that subdomain. Mosso runs IIS7, but doesn't turn on the pipeline setting by default. Since BlogSvc is using the new routing, I'm guessing that I'm going to have to get them to turn that on before things are going to work properly in that environment.$0$0$0$0$0The local install was mostly to give me a way to flip on the debugger and step through the code as it does its thing. I find that method gives me a better overview of the code and how it interacts than anything else. The server-based install is my intended global content repository for everything I write and create, to be forwarded on from there to other sites and services.$0
Coordinator
Sep 6, 2008 at 5:25 PM
Yes, blog.svc in it's current state uses ManagedFusion.Rewriter.RewriterModule which should work in IIS6 or IIS7 classic mode if it has been set to handle all requsts and verbs.  On IIS7 integrated mode it should "just work".  However, on my hosting provider, they recently installed URLScan and it rejected the verbs PUT and DELETE. Also, I have not yet tested or addressed running blog.svc in a subfolder.
Developer
Sep 8, 2008 at 10:37 AM
http://localhost/BlogSvc works much better for me on a development pc, I do lots of things on this machine.